Monday, April 26, 2010

Alcohol vs. Life

I strive for so much more than what I see around me.

A big part of why I dislike Cape Breton is because of peoples' statuses on Facebook. They're constantly bragging about how drunk they're going to get, how drunk they are or how hungover they're going to be. It's noon, and people feel the need to brag about them being "2 beer deep".

I'm not saying drinking doesn't exist everywhere - especially with this generation - but it's particularly prominent in Cape Breton. It nauseates me how obsessed people are with the fact they go out, get sloshed and hit up The Main Event at least twice a week. 90% (Note: this isn't an actual statistic - just a guesstimated hypothesis) of what goes on on Facebook (from the perspective of my own profile, and looking at my News Feed) involves people posting pictures of them doing shots, beer in hands, drunk times at bars, drunken status updates or wall posts about being drunk.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy going out and having a drink with friends. But I know for certain I'm over that "drink to get drunk phase" while the problem with a lot of people is that they feel the need to bask in this phase for years. When you're my age or older and you look forward to getting drunk at least two times a week - there's a problem.

I've moved from Sackville back home to Cape Breton and have been here for about two weeks. I completely understand the motivation people have to go and get drunk because "there's not much to do". However, there is SO much to do. The only problem I have is finding people to do it with. There are so many hiking trails along waterfalls and through beautiful forests that I'd love to explore.

Another thing... these people who drink at least twice a week - do they ever think about the money being spent on liqueur and going out? You can easily spend over a hundred dollars a weekend spent on cover fees, alcohol & mix, cabs and drinks/shots at the bar. Do these people who drink at least twice a week ever think about not going out for a month, banking the money they would have thrown away and saving up for something like a trip?

I strive for so much more than what I see around me. I want to see the world... I just wish I didn't have to do it alone.

10 comments:

Donna said...

Thank You!

A large reason that I have little to no social life when I am home during is because I have no desire to get drunk every weekend. I never really got the appeal of drinking to the point of being loaded. I could literally rant on about this for pages!

ZenaT_Pinter2284 said...

may the blessing be with you.........................................

皇雯 said...

cool blog,期待更新........................................

仰士 said...

閱讀您的BLOG文章,真是件快樂的事!........................................

Ana said...

Beth. I really agree with you on this. I hate the whole drinking thing as well. Wow. I am so glad that you don't drink as much as you had told me you do before. Drinking has horrible implications in terms of health... physiological and psychology. I so totally agree about the economic implications as well. Well done. Enjoyed reading this post of yours.

淑君 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today................................................................

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

好文章,希望能一直看到您的PO文........................................

俊蘇宏 said...

人生是一連串的課程,必須活過才能明白。 ..................................................

tgibson said...

聰明的人喜歡猜心 雖然每次都猜對了卻失去了自己的心..................................................

MinB2139 said...

5278av影片 洪爺自拍密錄館影音視訊聊天室 a片下載 彩虹視訊交友網 後宮電影線上a片免費看 xvediox 歐美av無碼影片下載 男人幫論壇 av 短片免費看 紅櫻桃愛情小說 援交友留言桃園無碼a片 網愛交友網elove kk777視訊俱樂部 影音視訊聊天室 完美女人視訊聊天室 383成人34c檳榔西施自拍照片 wii無雙遊戲網,電玩快打小遊戲 sex520免費電影 show-live視訊85cc 視訊聊天 18成人貼圖區 新竹援交自拍 qq 美女貼圖片區 ol 線上免費影片 辣妹有約台北援交 視訊交友高雄網 視訊聊天花漾 mmbox視訊網 無碼dvd,夜未眠成人影城 聊天室ilover99 jpkiss 線上成人影片 aio 網路交友愛情館 台灣18成人網 豆豆出租情人視訊 黑澀會美眉的即時通 xx369色女人專用 aaio辣妹視訊 交友聊天室meet520 微風成人vi467 視訊情人辣妹080 18免費成人影城 080視訊聊天室swam 禁忌書屋成人小說網 人妻的秘密結局 百分百成人圖片區 台南視訊 人妻AV影片 av影片,比基尼美女的奶 電話網愛視訊交友 18禁遊戲