Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blame it on the lack of an umbrella.

Me (bitter about the Groundhog Day results): Damn groundhog.
Dad: Blaming it on the animal, eh?
Me: Well, yes.
Dad: If it had an umbrella, it wouldn't have been scared by its shadow. So don't blame it on the animal, blame it on the lack of an umbrella.

It's safe to say I'm fed up with it being winter. Words cannot describe the hatred I have for snow and I'm really hungering for summer to get here... or at least warmer weather.

There is nothing good about snow or winter.

  • It is wet, cold, and slippery.
  • You have to shovel it.
  • It can lead to frostbite.
  • It makes the bottom of your jeans all wet.
  • It makes your socks wet.
  • It makes your lips chapped and hands dry.
  • If you're planning to travel, excessive snow can ruin your plans.

So, what are the advantages of snow? Snow is nice to look at for most people, and you can ski or snowboard. THE CONS OUTWEIGH THE PROS, PEOPLE!

There is way more to look forward to thinking about the summer, than the winter. Can you argue that? No. You know I'm right.

I guess I look forward to summer most because of the summer camp I work at, Mira Pines Camp. I was a camper at this particular camp for seven years and when I was too old to go there, I volunteered. I've worked there my past two summers and I absolutely love it. If you've never worked at a summer camp, it's an experience worth living.

Even if you've never done the whole camp thing before, you should do it! There's a camp in Pennsylvania I applied for last year online. It's called Tyler Hill Camp. I got a call back two days after I applied and they ended up hiring me. I didn't have the heart to leave Mira Pines so I turned it down. But if you're interested in working at a summer camp, you should look into Tyler Hill or its companion camps. They cover your cost of everything (fight, food, etc.) and if you watch the video clips you'll be blown away.

I definitely suggest seriously thinking about it and applying! There's no better feeling than knowing you've helps kids have the best summer of their lives. A lot of people don't want to "sacrifice" their summers because you "work" everyday.

This was the issue with my best friend, Dan. He was interested in Mira Pines because he'd heard me talk a lot about it and he was thinking about applying; however, he was worried most about giving up his whole summer. I promised him that if he worked there, it would be the most memorable summer of his life. He was also worried because he had never gone to a camp before, nor had he worked at one. I told him that he'd catch on quickly and learn to love it instantly.

Dan, in the middle of a waterfight at camp.

It was also his first time in a canoe!

I was right. Dan will tell everyone that the summer of '08 was the best summer of his life, because he was introduced to camp. At the camp that we work at, you go home Friday, have Saturday off, and go back on Sunday. It's like this for the whole summer. Last summer was the most memorable summer for me because it was the year the camp staff was the closest. We became best friends and when we weren't at camp, we were hanging out with each other on our days off. We couldn't get enough of each other and it was terribly sad when we had to part at the end of August. But even today, we're still all extremely close and call each other best friends.

My boyfriend and I met at Mira Pines. Here's us and our campers.


Half of the staff hanging out on our Saturday off. We couldn't get enough of each other!

So, I've decided that next groundhog day I will be waiting outside the groundhog's little hut with an umbrella to shield the sun...

No comments: