Monday, March 22, 2010

Well...

Two days ago...

Nope. No news yet on what I'm doing next year. The longer I wait, the more I lose my motivation to do everything else. There are three weeks left. Three weeks. Three weeks until I'm completely finished my degree. Three weeks until I have to pack up all of my junk and move back home. That means I'm going to have to start packing PRIOR to that third week mark. I'd love to know exactly where I'm going while I'm packing... or before I start packing.

This is unbelievably stressful; I've been avoiding blogging because all I can seem to write (and think) about is the frustration that's burrowing inside of me.

Earlier today...

I called NSCAD, asking them when I would hear back from them. I was told they were currently rifling through the numbers of applications and I would hear back from them in three weeks. I hung up the phone, stressed when I realized that this is only the first process. They're not basing their initial decision on my artwork - only the sheet of paper I filled out. Only after that step do they ask for portfolios and review them. This basically means I'd have to wait an additional Lord knows HOW long before I find out whether or not I actually get into the program I applied to.

Later today...

I got an e-mail from the Toronto School of Art telling me I'm one of the six people accepted into their independent studio summer residency program. They said the program starts May 3rd and runs until July 30th. This would mean I'd miss my graduation... what I've been working towards for the past four years. They told me I'd have to let them know what I decide by April 16th. That's essentially three weeks... three weeks. I have to let them know if I want to go in three weeks... probably before I hear anything from NSCAD.

Currently...

So, I've heard back from one of the three schools but my stress level hasn't decreased any. I'm desperately trying to weigh the pros and cons. If I go to Toronto, I'll be back in time to go to NSCAD if I do get accepted; however, if I do go to Toronto... I have very short time to find a place to live for three months while I'm there. The tuition is $2,500. This obviously doesn't include the cost of rent for three months (which will probably be an additional $1,500) plus the cost of food, etc. This would be an amazing opportunity for me to work in a creative space with five other artists hungry to strengthen their artistic abilities. I've never been to the city, so this would be extremely overwhelming... but exciting? I'd actually be living life as a starving artist.

Oh! I don't know what to do! The thought of missing my graduation makes me sad. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Maybe my next entry will be the pros vs. the cons. Sigh.

No comments: