Monday, September 13, 2010

Travelling

I often find myself sitting in front of the computer, rifling through trip packages and flight sales. A huge part of who I am is wanting to see the world. I figured out that it would be a smart idea to start saving for a trip for two years time. I suggested it to my boyfriend. He paused, staring at the television. I looked at him, "...or do you not want to go?" He was hesitant to respond, which is an evident "no". I looked at him and said, "I am going regardless."

It's sort of a bummer that I'm in a relationship with someone who isn't as passionate about traveling as I am. It would be so fantastic to be able to share those experiences with somebody whom I love, but at the same time - maybe it's not such a bad thing to do those things by myself. It's not just about discovering the world - it's much about discovering myself.

Once you travel anywhere out of where you've lived your whole life, it's a huge wake up call. I recognize that not all people will be able to gain this opportunity and won't thrive to experience the cultures of the world the way that I do. I can't force my boyfriend to travel with me. Maybe he'd much rather spend his money on tangible things. This is how we differ. I would much rather spend my money on experiences and memories to last a lifetime. I don't want to be on my deathbed looking back on my life, regretting not seeing what is out there in the world. And let me tell you, it's a lot!

All over Facebook, I see friends posting albums full of photographs of themselves tanning on beaches down South. This is not the kind of experience I'm talking about. I'm not saying anything bad about people that do that - I'm just saying, I think that vacating to a resort isn't the route to go if you want to experience the many worldly cultures. When you are on a resort like that, you're completely cut off in isolation from the actual place that you're visiting. You don't get a real sense of that place in the least.

Now, my kind of vacation is packing everything I need in a backpack and adventuring through parts of Europe (for example) - experiencing the different cultures that it has to offer. I don't seek a five-star hotel with all-inclusive treats; I'd much rather a hostel filled with other young travellers from all over the world seeking adventure the same way I do - filled with energy, accents, different languages and new friends to make connections with all over the world. Now, that's my kind of vacation!

2 comments:

The Milantian Team said...

Hey there Beth! I just read half of your blog posts! I'm a high school senior from Lebanon and I applied to NSCAD, Emily Carr, and Concordia for the Film Program (or Foundation year in the case of NSCAD and Emily Carr). I am seriously so happy that you got the chance to live in toronto like a fully-fledged artist and ndo art the way you like it. I was also intrigued by the 'responsibility' post, the one about living on your own. Wow! Haha I'm already pumped up! I am just so very stressed out because I'm still waiting to hear back from NSCAD,ECUAD, and Concordia. I don't know which one to pick if I get accepted to all of them! Could you keep posting? I would really love to know where you are now, what you have done in Europe (if you got the chance to go again!) and I would love to see some pictures of your adventures! Hope you are well! Cheers! ^^

Beth Martin said...

Hey there! Great to hear from you. If you want to search and add me to Facebook, I'd be happy to talk more and give you some feedback/advice on your school choices!

Cheers!